- Reviewed pages 4-5 in our book
- Reviewed the terms staff, treble clef, alto clef, and bass clef
- Learned how to put fingers down on our tapes to make new notes on the D string (E, F#, and G)
- Violins/violas passed the "marker test"- I was able to fit a marker between their palm and the neck of the violin to show that the palm was not touching the neck
- Cellos/basses practiced "holding a can of soda" on the neck of their instrument
For next time, please:
- Review pg. 4-5 and open strings songs. Download the CD tracks HERE to play along with
- Practice tapping your fingers on the D string.
Remember: Red tape on the D string makes the note E
Yellow tape on the D string makes the note F#
Blue tape on the D string makes the note G (basses play open G)
- Violins/violas: do the "marker test" with someone at home! Can you pass again??
- Cellos/basses: practice grabbing your can of soda and bringing it back to the neck of your instrument
- CHALLENGE: Try pg. 6-7 in your book- see if you can pluck your new notes clearly on the G string while in playing position. We will practice this more next time!
Here are some pictures to remind you of how to place your fingers on the D string (images courtesy of Dr. Michael Hopkins' Stringtechnique.com).
See you next time :)