Week 4 - Friday 9/30 - Tuesday 10/4
Another wonderful day of strings! Today we:
- discussed how to record practices in our Practice Record
- practiced reading our open D and A notes some more
- performed open D and A songs in the Essential Elements book with a fun CD accompaniment!
Before our next class, please:
- complete the "Reading A and D" Worksheet if you have not done so already. Try writing your own DAD song on the back!
- review Ants Song and all Open Strings songs
- practice pages 4-5 in your Essential Elements book (#2-9). You can play along with the CD track if you would like!
- check off the days you practiced in your Practice Record to earn a sticker!
Next week, we will learn how to create some new notes by putting fingers down on the fingerboard... :)
Hearing the viola certainly makes me happy, how about you?
Week 3, Friday 9/23 - Tuesday 9/27
What a fantastic day we had in strings class today! We are really starting to get the hang of holding our instruments and plucking our strings!
- reviewed how to unpack and set up
- reviewed proper instrument hold
- reviewed the Ants Song and the names of our 4 strings
- learned the DAD song and the G Whiz song
- discussed what bar lines are and how to add them to our music
- learned what a clef is and what the clef for our instrument looks like
For next week, please:
- review the Ants Song, DAD Song, and G Whiz Song
- Draw in bar lines for every open strings song (one vertical bar line after every 4 beats). Don't forget the double bar line goes at the very end!
- Learn Strings Play Tag songs located on the back of the Open Strings Song paper!
- Complete the "Reading A & D" paper. Practice drawing your clef and the notes of your open A and open D strings. Then write your very own DAD song on the back! I can't wait to see what you come up with!!
The show must go on! Cello and bass players- do you remember to tighten YOUR endpin before you play?
Week 2 - Friday 9/16 - Tuesday 9/20
Today, we learned:
Just for fun, here is a video of some cows listening to the violin! Do your pets like to hear you play your instrument?
I'm so excited to start making music together!! See you next time!
Ms. Davis :)
Homework after the first lesson:
- Label the parts of the instrument on your homework sheet. Color your dream violin, viola, cello or bass!
- For your next lesson (and all lessons after) please bring:
1. Your instrument!
2. A thin, hard binder with a pencil
3. Essential Elements Book 1 for your instrument in your binder pocket
4. KUN shoulder rest for violins/violas, endpin anchor for cellos/basses
See you next time!
Ms. Davis :)