For Classes Monday 4/24 - Friday 4/28
Nice work 3rd graders, I'm so proud of your progress! Today we:
- Played some bow games and echo patterns, along with the D major scale to warm up
- #88 - Frere Jacques. We played the whole thing and discussed what a "round" means. Then, we played it as a round. This is how we will perform it for the concert!
- Buffalo Gals- we sang the notes, plucked, then bowed a few lines at a time. Then, we played the whole thing!
- Can Can- we played the jump rope game, where we played the tricky measures several times to train our fingers where to go. This is a great way to practice at home! Some classes tried the CRANK game (explained below)
- Some classes started French Folk song. Label notes if you need to and practice this one at home!
Students have all received their Spring Concert Packet which includes every song we will be performing at our May 30th concert and explains how we will perform them.
For next week please:
- Label whatever notes you need to in your Concert Packet at home (we will review notes in class, but will not label them during class time)
- Frere Jacques, Buffalo Gals, Can Can, French Folk Song all in the packet. Play as much of the Concert Packet as possible!
- Can you pass Level 1 of CRANK for next week?
BONUS: Can you play the Harmony of Buffalo Gals and Summer Stomp?! These are new, we will review more next week
Directions for the CRANK game!
1. Use a "metronome" when you practice to help you keep a steady beat (Just Google the word metronome on any device and it will pop up!)
2. Make sure you have practiced Can Can slowly beforehand and that your fingers and bow know where to go.
3. Set the metronome to a speed of 48 (the clicks represent the quarter note). If you can play the entire thing at 48 without making ANY errors, you have passed Level 1 and can CRANK up the speed to Level 2 (see tempo below). I will be very pleased if you can pass Level 1 next week! I will be EXTREMELY IMPRESSED if you can go beyond Level 1! Do your best!
Level 1 = 48
Level 2 = 60
Level 3 = 72
Level 4 = 86
Level 5 = 100
Level 6 = 120
Have fun!! :)
For Classes Monday April 3rd - Friday April 7th
Nice work 3rd graders, what a fun class! Here's what we did today:
- Played an echo game with our bows
- Bow hold games- we learned about the Magic Circle with thumb and second fingers!
- #89 Bile 'Em Cabbage Down. It has the same rhythm and bowing as #68 and 69! We labeled the notes that change in part A, then played it. Finally, we performed both parts together with the piano as an ensemble! Basses added an awesome "slap bass" part on the rests- it was so fun! :)
- #88 - Frere Jacques. We learned it really quickly by echoing me one measure at a time! We circled the new material- half of it is just an echo of what you played before! Frere Jacques and Bile 'Em Cabbage will both be concert songs- get really comfy playing them!
- Buffalo Gals- we figured out the notes together and realized that most of it repeats! Little by little, we sang the notes, plucked them, then tried it with our bow. This is a great way to practice it at home as well!
For next week:
#68, 88, 89 (in the book)
Buffalo Gals (yellow sheet)
SUPER BONUS! Can you play #92 Can Can? This one is tricky! Take it one step at a time- pluck it first to make sure you have the correct notes and rhythms! Then add bow! We will learn it together next time and learn the Crank game that goes with it :)
- Please make sure you are always prepared for class with your book and pencil
Happy practicing :)